Thursday, July 14, 2005

Blogging: running through the town square naked

I'm still new to the world of blogging, so much of what others may take for granted still surprises me. As I skim the blogosphere, I've noted that in some respects blogging is a bit like running through the town square in your birthday suit: not much stays hidden for long. It creates something of a false sense of intimacy, for you believe you know the private side of someone who doesn't know you at all--asymmetrical friendships, perhaps. It's also a tough crowd. If you're thin-skinned or sensitive, well, you better get out of Dodge. It can be the Wild West in blog-land. I suspect many bloggers have semi-romantic notions of "sharing their thoughts with the world." That could disappoint you rather quickly! From what I've seen, most blogs shrivel and die for lack of an audience. But those that succeed often look like shark-tanks, rather frenzied and bloodied.

Yet when all's said and done, there is something undeniably interesting about a good blog. The relationship may be asymmetrical, but then, the same is true with a good biography. I've read a number of biographies of C.S. Lewis, and I really do think I know what Lewis was like. But of course he never knew me. Still, a blog reaches further. You can start up a kind of friendship on line that has a real life of its own. The problem, of course, is that people may come and go all too quickly, unlike the the "real world" where certain responsibilities attach to our in-the-flesh relationships.

Ten years ago, when bulletin boards were popular, I started an "Inklings" board on America Online, and the board was a lively place for several years. With the advent of the web, the board slowly died. Finally I had to turn out the lights and shut the door. It was profoundly sad, at least for me. But with the blogosphere, something like the old "Inklings" can live again, and in many different incarnations. And though people may come and go all too quickly, they may still leave the imprints of their souls, for the web, with its anonymity, gives a glipse of a person that even your family may rarely see. That's bracing. A bit like running through the town square naked . Brrrr!!!

2 Comments:

At 2:50 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

An excellent analogy, and very true. It's why I have to divorce myself from it at times. I also try very hard to keep my identity private because emotions sometimes run rampant without check and I don't know who might decide to come stalk me if they don't agree with a particular view.

I think the biggest reason people get angry is that their ideas are challenged. That's why everyone needs to continuously take a deep breath and attempt to put everything in balance. Some are better at it than others. I know of one blog where the woman wantonly deletes anything that doesn't agree with with her views. She gets plenty of people that DO agree with her, and you are in for a lot of hurt if you don't!

I try to stay balanced and fair, but it does take it's toll on you. I am trying to do it less, because I think it is too easy to take it too seriously.

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger Bill R said...

Saur,
I generally find that angry people are uncertain people. Take a breath, write a response--then set it aside for a day or so before editing and sending it! On my old BBS, I actually had the opportunity to turn some who were angry into friends. That's rare, but sometimes angry people aren't necessarily bad folks. But if we blow back too fast, too hard, we may never find out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home