Saturday, July 02, 2005

Wandering among the masks

Can you be a Christian and be bored? Not for long, I think. Boredom is the fate of pagans and postmoderns. A Christian, on the other hand, must see all creation as masking God. Behind every human endeavor we may find a glimpse of God and his purposes. Could any adventure be more interesting? In this blog I hope to wander through the mansion of the Christian faith. C.S. Lewis called the hallway of this mansion "mere Christianity." But he firmly advised against staying in the hallway too long. Warmth and food are to be found only in its rooms. I desire to wander through these rooms, but to bed down in one only. I firmly believe that some of these rooms are better than others, and one or more may be the best of all, even if imperfect. But I desire to see this from a practical point of view. Theology is interesting, even critical, but above all I desire to see its effect on how I (and others) will live, if we take this theology seriously. Some masks, in other words, are more transparent than others, or are more easily removed.

2 Comments:

At 6:11 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Hello, from a fellow theologian. Are you planning on blogging daily? I will add you to my blog list. What a pleasant find; someone else who is a C.S. Lewis junkie. ;o)

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Bill R said...

Thanks, Sauerkraut. You're my first comment--a milestone in my very brief blogging career! Well, I'd like to blog daily, but it remains to see how well I can do that as a full-time lawyer.

Lewis is near and dear to my heart. You'll hear him quoted frequently here, I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home