Thursday, July 28, 2005

Time ... and again


Recently I mentioned my love for "moral" ghost stories, and said that I was reading Russell Kirk's "Ancestral Shadows." One story, "Saviourgate," has a unique twist that got me to thinking. Ultimately, however, I don't think the story worked, but it's interesting to consider why it didn't. It wasn't Kirk's fault, really. I just don't think anyone can make this type of story work. What is it? Well, it's a speculation as to what the life to come, the afterlife, heaven, is like.

Among the silliest movies I've ever seen was Robin Williams' What Dreams May Come, giving Hollywood's impression of what life after death may be like. Don't bother checking it out with Scripture--it ain't there. The biggest problems with such stories is that they lack dramatic resolution. The resolution has already occurred as a result of the deaths of the persons involved. Anything thereafter is, quite literally, anticlimactic. This is true in Kirk's story as well, and even Kirk's twist can't rescue it.

For those of you who hate spoilers, better not read the rest of this post (although I won't give away the ending). The story's protagonist begins his tale with a memory of walking through a street of an English city that he vaguely recalls visiting before WWII. He then meets a man whom he again recalls slightly, but who insists on taking him into the smoking room of a local hotel (despite the midnight bus that the protagonist must catch to London). Well, the protagonist finds that everyone in the room has died and that they have the power, after death, to revisit any time and place from their lifetimes and to re-experience any event in their lives as often as they wish. They cannot, however, visit any place or any time outside the experiences of their mortal lives.

But it's significant that nothing really "happens" in the story, because the event they are re-experiencing is simply conversation in a sitting room (and, of course, it's not the original conversation, or we'd never learn that all the characters are dead). No event "re-experienced" would ever be the same, for we'd have the knowledge of how it turned out before it happened, thus changing the experience entirely. For there to be drama, there must be a perceived contingency. But in Kirk's assumed afterworld, that's impossible.

So nice try, but no cigar, Dr. Kirk. Yet I suspect most of us have wondered about whether our mortal life will be "reviewable" in the life to come. Scripture really only hints at that. We shall give an account "for every idle word," But shall we see our lives again? Will others (besides the Lord) see them with us? Perhaps we aren't told because, in our present state, we could not understand. Christian common sense suggests that we ought not to dwell on this, but it would seem that an occasional pause to consider the possibilities is not forbidden us.

7 Comments:

At 4:16 PM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

I agree with you. There's no way that anyone can make the afterlife interesting OR accurate, IMHO. And I hated "What Dreams May Come."

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger Bill R said...

Saur,

"No eye has seeen,
no ear has heard,
no mind has conceived,
What God has prepared for those who love Him."

I used to read that purely poetically. But now I wonder if it's meant quite literally to tell us what we CAN'T know!

 
At 4:46 AM, Blogger Saur♥Kraut said...

Over my lifetime, I have heard all types of speculation. But, if we were meant to know, he would have told us.

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Tyson said...

good observations, guys. i recently watched "meet joe black," which is about death taking human form. anyway, near the end, the protagonist (anthony hopkins) turns to death and asks if he needs to be afraid of being "taken away." death answers, "for a man like you, no." that's fine, but the way it was inserted into the story so abruptly made me think of how much people need to be reassured that if they are good people, everything will be fine.

 
At 7:40 PM, Blogger Bill R said...

TS, that's an interesting point, although as a Christian, my assurance doesn't come from any knowledge that I'm a good person. Rather, my hope lies in Jesus Christ, by whose death and resurrection I have the true hope of life everlasting. Thank God I don't have to rely on my goodness; I can rely on His!

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the "hell" parts of "What Dreams May Come" were quite interesting. Not so much as theological speculations. But as an exploration of "lostness" which actually illuminated some things.

 
At 9:26 AM, Blogger Bill R said...

Even bad movies are rarely entirely worthless. I thought the heavenly "mansions" were cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home